Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Doesn't Measure Up Tuesday

Welcome to a new installment, "Doesn't Measure Up Tuesday."  There will not be a linky party, just an examination of universal forces.  If I cut awesome little and big squares and then sew with what I think is a terrific quarter inch seam, why are none of my 9 patches 9 1/2" square like they are supposed to be?

The big squares are 9.5" wide therefore the 9 patches should be the same!







What could have happened?  

  • my cutting is crappy (no way)
  • my sewing is worse (say it isn't so)


Let's move on.  All of the 9 patches are complete.  The options as I see it are:

  1. rip some seams / do over
  2. cut all blocks down a bit so they are the same size (big blocks would have to be cut as well)
  3. pretend this isn't happening and make the quilt top
  4. learn from this 


I went with options 3 and 4.  While considering option 1, Sammi Seam Ripper walked out the door.  And, I thought, time is precious.  How do I really want to spend my time?  I'm moving forward and trying to figure out what I learned.


Sammi, walking out the door, literally
If I make this quilt again, or a quilt like it, I will cut the smaller squares that make up the 9 patch, a bit too big.  Then, cut the 9 patch down to 9.5".
What would you do in this situation?
Go Sew,
Jodi


  

2 comments:

Quiltin Jenny said...

I would have done the exact same thing. At best I'd trim the big squares, but you aren't off by enough to go to all that trouble. Of course, I'm pretty lazy and not super hung up on perfect points. ;o)

I think you are off by such a slight amount, it could be something simple like the way you are pressing or that you need to use a scant quarter inch.

So glad to see more adventures of Sammy.

Janine said...

I'd probably have trimmed the big blocks but I think your solution is better. It's annoying when a foot isn't accurate. My walking foot is randomly between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch. I suspect a cm but I haven't measured it.